2 egg yolks
150g castor sugar
250ml thick coconut milk
3–4 screwpine leaves (pandan leaves), knotted
1. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl till well blended.
2. Add sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves.
3. Add thick coconut milk and continue to whisk till well combined.
4. Strain mixture into a heatproof container and place container into a double-boiler.
5. Add screwpine leaves to the mixture and cook over double boiler.
6. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon for approximately 40–50 minutes until mixture turns into a thick custard mixture.
7. Discard the screwpine leaves and allow the kaya to cool down.
8. Bottle the kaya in glass jam jars.